Mara and I had a wonderful ride to the river and back with friends before meeting Dr. Ed at the barn this morning.
Then it was Mara’s first ever chiropractic/acupuncture ‘adjustment ‘ treatment. The process was very interesting, lasted about 40 minuets and she caught on that we were only treating her to help her feel well.
Licking, chewing and comfortable sighs from Mara B resulted. It was a little extra special tune up for her to keep her feeling her best.
We did not make the 30% chance Dr. Anne gave Mara’s stitches of holding, this morning I discovered the wound has reopened. Alanna was a wonderful help to us, she cleaned it out with an antiseptic, trimmed a few stitches off and then I was able to recover it with the aerosol bandage. Darn, however Mara B is handling it all beautifully.
We continued on with a good ride out joined by Kim and Rio and all loved the vivid green landscape and gorgeous trees we passed.
I’m still waiting on a call back from Dr. Anne to consult with her on what to do next…..
We have been checking on Mara B and giving her meds and comfort.
All is going well, she has caught on to a few things that she’s not enjoying such as the antibiotics being given and the aerosol bandage being sprayed on…..but friends are assisting and we are getting it all done. Today was a rest and recuperation day for Mara B.
The stable alerted me last night that Mara B had a cut lip, today we took care of her injury. Not sure what actually happened, however the wound needed to be cleaned and stitched up.
Dr. Anne arrived and sedated Mara plus gave her a local block on her nose, cleaned the wound out and then sewed it up with both internal and external sutures.
The final results looked great! The wound was sprayed with an aerosol bandage. Mara had a shot of Bute and is on antibiotics for the next five days. Thankfully there was no gum or tooth issue so all should be fine. Even riding we hope will be okay in a few days. Of course the stitches need to hold! Dr Anne and I know they may not last the entire two weeks we’re hoping for.
Before Mara’s vet visit this morning, Jennifer and Bella rode out with us to enjoy the morning.
One of the pasture horses seen in the photo above, walked the fence line with us on our way back, keeping Mara rather curious. We also met up with Alanna and Allegro.
Doc Ed was a bigger part of our morning though. It’s been determined that Mara has a low thyroid, so she’s been on medication for that and we are trying to figure out what level of medication she needs for it. Today was a second blood test to find that out. We also addressed her hives and the allergic reaction she had on the trail last Friday. She is now being treated for that too. Plus Ed did a chiropractic elevation on her to see what areas she needs tweaked. We sure want her to be as healthy and happy as possible! She’s so good about it all, I feel she ‘knows’ we are helping her.
Maura was with Mara when she saw the Vet today and Mara’s hoof issues are greatly improved. It was determined that her back issues are due to her saddle fit. The prescribed fix is to use a saddle pad with gel pockets. I will get this new pad ASAP, as there is no riding until we do. Many thanks to Maura G. for the wonderful assistance.
Since Jay and I were enjoying Sundance where we even spotted Robert Redford!
Mara has been tender footed and less willing to trot off and to move out recently. Because she has already had a case of laminitis two years ago, I was concerned and feeling that something was “off.”
So today she had a Vet check and it was confirmed that she is dealing with another bout of Laminitis. A blood test, exam and hoof check now have us on a rehabilitation treatment program moving forward. Mara was given pain medication (daily for the next four weeks ) and we will wait approximately three days for the results of the blood tests. A real bummer, however we are on our improvement plan and looking for good results for her.